The History of Fisher Sand & Gravel and the Fisher Companies
At Fisher Sand & Gravel, we remain true to the same principles on which the Fisher Companies were founded on nearly 100 years ago: providing superior service to our clients, working toward 100% customer satisfaction, putting safety first, acting with integrity, and strengthening our communities. These qualities unite us as one company, and guide every aspect of our business, within each of the Fisher Companies’ operations.
THE COMPANY WAS FOUNDED
The Fisher Companies began as a single company operation in 1925, within the city limits of Midland, Michigan. This single operation originally started as a small ready mix concrete supplier and sand and gravel operation, which provided materials to road and underground contracting services in the Mid-Michigan area. The company was housed at a gravel pit near Freeland, Michigan, leased by Ralph Fisher.
FISHER SAND & GRAVEL FINDS ITS FIRST HOME
After World War II, Ralph’s three sons took over the business, and saw opportunities in many other product and service lines. Throughout many changes in the 1940’s, the Fisher Companies weathered many difficult times, but continued to grow steadily. In 1947, a triangle of land was purchased from the Dow Chemical Company, to become the first home of Fisher Sand and Gravel.
CENTRAL CONCRETE PRODUCTS IS FOUNDED
With a proactive view of what was going on in the gravel industry, Ralph Fisher decided that if he didn’t get into the concrete business, someone else would – and they would take over the gravel industry. It only seemed natural and logical to Ralph that people in the sand and gravel business should also be in the concrete business. Therefore, out of necessity, the business gradually expanded to include concrete services. By the 1950′s, the ready mix concrete and the heavy and civil contracting segments of the business had grown so large that separate companies were started. In 1955, Central Concrete Products was founded, with Ralph’s youngest son, Ralph J. (Bud) Fisher Jr., serving as the president.
FISHER CONTRACTING IS FOUNDED
Due to the heavy and civil contracting segments of the business growing so large, Fisher Contracting Company was founded by Ralph’s eldest son, A.J. (Bill) Fisher.
FISHER TRANSPORTATION IS FOUNDED
To round-off the complementary suite of products and services, the Fisher Companies established their own heavy-haul transportation services company in 1970, known as Fisher Transportation. Thus, offering customers a complete solution from product to delivery with all other Fisher Operations. Fisher Transportation quickly grew to provide services outside the Fisher operations, and now serves a diverse base of customers and their heavy-haul transportation needs.
CENTRAL ASPHALT IS FOUNDED
During the 1980′s, an asphalt division was also created; again to complement the already existing divisions. Joining the Fisher Companies in 1982, Central Asphalt brings a full-service asphalt production and paving company to the table, handling any job from a highway to a residential driveway.
BAY AGGREGATES IS FOUNDED
Also in the 1980′s, an aggregates division was created to complement the already existing divisions. Joining the Fisher Companies in 1983, Bay Aggregates boasts prime location on the Saginaw River and is a supplier of a multitude of aggregate products.
BUCKS RUN GOLF CLUB OPENS
Next, to be added to the Fisher Companies was a championship golf course. Bucks Run Golf Club, of Mt. Pleasant, MI, opened for business in July of 2000. The course was created in what used to be an old mining operation for the company. Those operations halted in the 1990’s – leaving the site undisturbed for almost a decade, until construction on the golf course and clubhouse began.
PORT FISHER TERMINALS IS FOUNDED
Continuing with the tradition of adding complementary industries to the Fisher Companies, Port Fisher Terminals was founded. Port Fisher Terminals is a multi-modal port site, offering vessel, rail, and highway transportation services, along with bulk material storage. Located in Bay City, MI, the port is protected by the Saginaw Bay and supported by the Saginaw River.
FISHER CONSTRUCTION AGGREGATES IS FOUNDED
In 2015, an aggregate mining division was also added; again, to complement the already existing divisions. Fisher Construction Aggregates is an aggregate mining division, which produces and supplies aggregate materials to not only the Fisher Operations, but also area customers and the general public.